credit: Let The Baking Begin blog
* 1tbsp olive oil
* 3 links of spicy Italian sausage (or whatever sausage you prefer), chopped or broken into medium pieces
* 2 sweet bell peppers, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 small onion, peeled and diced medium
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled, diced finely
* 1 tbsp dried basil
* 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, crushed
* 8oz chicken stock
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
* 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
* 12oz linguine pasta
*** Reserve 1/2 cup – 1 cup pasta cooking water to help thicken sauce
***a little shredded Parmesan for garnish, if desired.
Cook linguine in salted boiling water, according to package directions; drain. Be sure to reserve a cup of pasta water for sauce.
While the pasta is cooking, begin heating a deep skillet over high heat with the olive oil. Add in the sausage already chopped or break into medium pieces as it begins to brown. When sausage is about halfway browned, add the bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until peppers are softened, onions are translucent, and sausage is fully cooked and browned.
Then, add chicken stock, about 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and cream to the sausage and peppers. Combine, add/adjust salt and pepper and seasonings as needed.
Next, add the pasta, parsley, and cherry tomatoes. Toss carefully to combine. Simmer on medium heat for about five minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and coat the pasta.
Serve immediately. Sprinkle with a little shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.